Pixelmator Photo still keeps an option to buy app, but provides monthly and yearly plans. Existing paid customers will not need to purchase subscriptions. Pixelmator team goes into details of their decision, explaining problems with paid app model.
Basically, their vision focuses on this issues:
- Development is slowed due to money flow tied to update cycles;
- Paid upgrades fears and lack of paid upgrade discounts on App Store;
- Early adopters get more value for the money;
- No free trials on iOS and iPadOS without subscriptions;
- There is an expectation that mobile apps should not cost a lot;
- No universal purchases between iOS/iPadOS and macOS.
Developer:Investigate subscription APIs.
QA engineer:Business as usual.
PM/DM:Consider using subscription model if applicable.