Apple plans next release for its platforms. Now iOS 16.1 beta 2, iPadOS 16 beta 9 (aka iPadOS 16.1 beta 3), macOS 13 beta 8, watchOS 9.1 beta 2 and tvOS 16.1 beta 2.
Xcode 14.1 beta 2 is also released.
New beta brings new battery indicator to iOS showing both percentage and charge level on the icon. Excessive paste permission prompts are now also fixed. GPS issues reported on some iPhone 14 models seem to be fixed by this beta.
Another important change in iOS and other platforms is zeroing out of freed memory. Now when memory is freed, OS will put zeros to the whole block to ensure that data does not leak and prevent potential memory-related issues.
Developers and QA engineers need to recheck their apps!
This change is significant update on memory management on very low level!
Since some apps might still rely on accessing already freed memory, this change might bring crashes or other unexpected behavior. All apps need to be checked for proper memory management.
Beta download: Operating Systems
- iOS 16.1 Beta 2 Release Notes
- iPadOS 16 Beta 9 Release Notes
- macOS 13 Ventura Beta 8 Release Notes
- watchOS 9.1 Beta 2 Release Notes
- tvOS 16.1 Beta 2 Release Notes
- Xcode 14.1 Beta 2 Release Notes
- iOS 16.1 beta 2 now available to developers, here’s what’s new
- Second tvOS 16.1 and watchOS 9.1 beta now available for developers
- macOS 13 Ventura beta 8 now available ahead of October release
- iPadOS 16.1 beta 3 now available as Apple readies Stage Manager feature
- Latest iOS 16.1 Beta Tweaks Battery Status Bar to Show Visual Charge Level
- iOS 16.1 beta 2 no longer wants your permission to paste every single time
- iOS 16.1 beta 2 brings back iOS 15 Lock Screen charging indicator
- Everything New With iOS 16.1 Beta 2: Lock Screen Charging Indicator, Copy Paste Alert Fix, Battery Status Updates and More
- iOS 16.1 beta 2: These are the new features and changes coming with the latest update
- Zeroing Freed Memory
- iOS 16.1 Beta 2 Fixes GPS Issue on iPhone 14 Pro Models
Developer:Check new zeroing memory behavior. Run memory-related profiling tools. Check for possible use-after-free issues in the apps.
QA engineer:Run smoke tests, run full regression testing.
PM/DM:Plan additional efforts to check and fix potential memory-related issues.
You must log in to post a comment.