Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit is now being evaluated by developers and journalists. It turns out that even without any code changes some of the games could run pretty well on the Mac.
Some additional tweaking by game developers could help improving performance and minimize overhead caused by this translation layer. Essentially, Game Porting Toolkit is Wine patch that allows DirectX 12 commands translation into Metal.
Apple Developer: Apple technologies for game developers
- Bring your game to Mac, Part 1: Make a game plan
- Bring your game to Mac, Part 2: Compile your shaders
- Bring your game to Mac, Part 3: Render with Metal
- Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit Is Already Showing Results
- Apple’s Secret Weapon to Getting PC Games on Mac
- Apple’s Game Porting Toolkit’s Support for DirectX 12 is a Big Deal for Gaming on the Mac
Developer:Check the usage of Game Porting Toolkit, consider using it to simplify game port to Mac.
QA engineer:Business as usual.
PM/DM:Evaluate Game Porting Toolkit, consider brining Windows games to Mac.