In an interview to Joanna Stern, Craig Federighi confirms that Apple stopped development of previously announced CSAM detection features.
In this interview Craig Federighi discussed new privacy and security features added by Apple to iCloud and their effect on law enforcement ability to extract data from iCloud.
One of the nixed features is Photos CSAM detection which was criticized by many privacy-focused groups and organizations.
The Wall Street Journal: Apple Plans New Encryption System to Ward Off Hackers and Protect iCloud Data (Apple News+)
- Apple confirms that it has stopped plans to roll out CSAM detection system
- Apple Abandons Plans to Detect Known CSAM Stored in iCloud Photos
- Apple Has Stopped Development of System to Identify Child Sexual-Abuse Material
- Joanna Stern Interviews Craig Federighi Regarding New iCloud Security Features
- Apple's Craig Federighi Discusses Expanded iCloud End-to-End Encryption