Kotlin 1.6.20 has officially been released. It offers previews of future language features, makes the hierarchical structure the default for multiplatform projects, and brings performance improvements for the JVM, JS, and Native platforms.
It also includes changes like:
- New support for defining context-dependent declarations in Kotlin/JVM
- Better interoperability with generic Java classes and interfaces
- Faster build times resulting from the parallel compilation of a single module in the JVM IR backend.
- Streamlined development experience, facilitated by incremental compilation in Kotlin/JS IR.
- Kotlin/Native performance improvements.
- Easier code sharing thanks to the hierarchical structure of multiplatform projects.