Following announcements on new Mac hardware Apple today announces update to HomePod.
Second generation HomePod gets S7 chip, UWB, temperature and humidity sensors. HomePod also gets Matter smart home standard support.
HomePod second generation follows design of original smart speaker while getting sound quality improvements too. However, it is noted that original HomePod could not be combined as stereo pair with second generation.
HomePod mini apparently also has temperature and humidity sensors. And those will be enabled with upcoming software update.
Sound Recognition feature comes to both new HomePod and HomePod mini to listen for smoke alarms in the house.
Apple Newsroom: Apple introduces the new HomePod with breakthrough sound and intelligence
- Apple Announces Second-Generation HomePod
- Apple unveils new full-size HomePod with refined design, new color, $299 price, more
- PSA: HomePod stereo pairs won’t work between first and second-gen speakers
- New HomePod & existing HomePod mini have temperature sensors
- Both HomePod and HomePod Mini Now Feature Temperature and Humidity Sensor
- HomePod mini software update will activate hidden sensor and Sound Recognition feature
- New HomePod Can't Be Stereo Paired With First-Generation HomePod
- Apple Expanding Sound Recognition Feature to New HomePod and HomePod Mini With Software Update Later This Year
- HomePod (2nd Generation)